Tooth replacement has been transformed by dental implants, offering patients the ability to restore teeth with the most naturally functioning option. Dental implants have a unique structure, replacing both the crown of the tooth and the tooth root. They offer some significant benefits for your long-term dental health.
Dr. Gayed and Dr. Shaw are experienced in helping patients with missing teeth or needing to have a tooth extracted and replaced. They will take the time to fully understand the condition of your oral health and your personal needs and goals when creating a treatment plan. The best solution is the one that supports your dental health, your quality of life, and your budget.
Understanding the Dental Implant Process
The placement of dental implants will be completed over a period of several weeks or months. There are several factors influencing the process:
- Bone health and stability: for a stable outcome, there must be enough healthy and stable bone in the jaw where the implant is to be placed. If there are concerns, we may recommend bone grafting to augment your natural tissue.
- Number of implants being placed: if one implant is being placed and there are no other oral health concerns, we may work with our oral surgical specialist to coordinate same-day placement for your new tooth. This can also be done when placing a denture using the All On “X” process. For traditional placement, the implant will need a period of time to heal before moving on to the next phase.
- Ability to heal: everyone is different when it comes to healing after an implant is placed. Medical conditions, age, and lifestyle factors can affect how long it takes to heal before the final restoration can be secured.
Dr. Gayed and Dr. Shaw work with local oral surgical specialists to place the implant to ensure a successful result. We will follow up with you, and you will complete the placement process in our Lincoln Park dental office. Once the tissues have healed, we will attach an abutment piece that will eventually secure the final restoration. Impressions are taken at this time, and your new dental crown, bridge, or denture will be custom-made for your smile. The final step is to attach this final restoration, giving you a permanent new tooth or smile.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer key benefits for your long-term oral health and quality of life compared to traditional tooth replacement options. We will discuss what you can expect when replacing your teeth with dental implants during the initial consultation. Most patients will be able to enjoy the benefits that implants offer, including:
- Reduced bone loss: placed into the jaw bone, an implant will support the natural retention of bone where the tooth root was lost. This will minimize changes in the appearance of the jaw and the fit of the bite.
- Natural chewing function: the integrity of the dental implant means that there are no dietary restrictions, and you can enjoy eating your favorite foods.
- Clear speech: a secure new tooth allows for clear and confident speech, boosting your social confidence.
- Stabilizes dental health: dental implants function like natural teeth and do not irritate the gums and soft tissues with movement.
Patients with dental implants and implant-secured dentures are able to return to their normal daily habits and lifestyle without concerns about discomfort or a slipping appliance. There is a significant reduction in the risk of gum disease and other dental problems associated with traditional removable dentures and bridges.
Schedule A Dental Implant Consultation
If you have missing teeth and would like to explore your treatment options with dental implants, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Gayed or Dr. Shaw in our Lincoln Park dentist office. We can also provide a second opinion for a treatment plan. Contact our downtown Chicago dental practice at (773) 839-7783 or request an appointment online.